If you are in the process of an LLC formation, you will need to start thinking about who will fulfill the role of an LLC Registered agent. This significant role will require finalizing to support important official business and legal functions.
But if you are only setting up your first business, it may be a good idea to do some research first! Below we will give you the answers to your questions, such as "What is a Registered Agent for an LLC?", "Who Can Be A Registered Agent for LLC?" and "Can You Hire a Registered Agent?"
What is a Registered Agent for an LLC?
Your state will usually require you to have an LLC registered agent when you first form your LLC. In addition, state law will require you to have a nominated individual or entity that will act on behalf of your business regarding taxes, important government documentation, and legal issues.
A registered agent for LLCs can be one of the business owners, a colleague, or even a professional registered agent service (as long as they meet the state law requirements.)
When Do You Need to Finalize an LLC Registered Agent?
Your state may require you to finalize a registered agent for LLC when you first form and file your business details. In addition, you must add the details of your LLC registered agent when you file the Articles of Organization for your company.
What Roles Does a Registered Agent for LLC Fulfill?
Once you have set up your registered agent for LLC, you may wonder what a registered agent is for in terms of their role and responsibilities. The key role of your LLC registered agent will be to ensure your company remains legally compliant by keeping track of state law notices and that the** annual LLC filing** takes place.
Your registered agent for LLC will be the point of contact for your business and legal and government agencies, communicating with these organizations and filing all required information when it is required.
This is a role with a lot of responsibility and will definitely affect your company's overall legal health and compliance, so it is not a decision you should take lightly. Documents that your agent will receive and be responsible for once finalized include:
- Tax Return Notices and Tax Forms
- Legal Documents Addressed to your Business
- Annual Reports and other Official Government Documentation
- A legal Summons or Notice of Lawsuit against the Business.
Can a Business Owner Be The Registered Agent for an LLC?
As a business owner, you can take on the responsibility of being a registered agent for an LLC yourself. Or you could choose to appoint a fellow owner, colleague, or even a high-up employee as long as you can completely trust them. The legal requirements for a Registered Agent for LLC are:
- You must be aged 18 and above
- You need a physical address in the same state as your business
- You need to be available for contact during regular business hours
If you do not think you can take on the responsibility of being an LLC registered agent for your LLC or corporation and do not have anyone else who is appropriate or fills the registered agent requirements - consider using a professional service.
What is a Registered Agent Service?
A professional Registered Agent Service is a company with the legal power to accept government documents and tax notices on behalf of your business. LLC registered agent services will charge a fee for this.
What are The Benefits of Using a Registered Agent Service for Your Business?
You may find that you balk at giving the responsibility for your essential documents to a third-party service separate from you and your business. But there are many benefits to considering hiring a registered agent.
- Peace of Mind for Business Owners - If you are overwhelmed with keeping on track of paperwork and filing important documents on time, an LLC Registered Agent Service will take the responsibility off of your hands
- You Can Be Sure of Compliance - You can trust a professional LLC Registered Agent to ensure that your company remains compliant and adheres to any new regulations
- You Will Have More Time to Concentrate on Your Business - When starting up and growing your company, you will need all the time you can get to devote to the practicalities of making a profit. Hiring a Registered Agent for LLC will save you hours in research, compliance checks, and tax filings
- Your Details Will Remain Private and Secure - The physical address of your LLC registered agent will be the contact address listed on your public business record. If you are a small business owner working from home, this can ensure the privacy and security of your personal details
- An LLC Registered Agent Service will Serve as Gatekeeper to Your Company - You are less likely to be subject to unsolicited mailings, visits, or legal servings in person. Instead, all official tax and legal correspondence should go through the registered agent service
What Should The Best Registered Agent Services Offer?
When deciding which Registered Agent for LLC Service to choose, there are several things to consider:
- Make sure the company has excellent reviews and a good reputation.
- Check which services they offer - will they help your company to remain legally compliant?
- How do they manage your documents, and how can you access copies - is there an online dashboard you can access?
- Are they registered and legal to operate in your state?
- What is their customer service like? How easy are they to reach when you need them?
What Are The Best Registered Agent Services?
- Northwest Registered Agent - has the best customer service hands down if you like to talk to someone or if you have questions. Read our review of Northwest Review
- ZenBusiness - makes the process simple with a clean and intuitive website interface. Read our review of ZenBusinss Review
- Incfile - offers the most transparent pricing and great customer service. Read our review of Incfile Review
Summary: What is A Registered Agent for an LLC?
A registered agent for LLC is a state requirement when you form and file your LLC. You can choose to fulfill this role on your own or nominate a trusted colleague or third-party professional service to take on the role for you.
Before you choose your LLC registered agent, remember to consider all the responsibilities the role involves and how much time or expertise you or your choice can devote to the role. Many find that hiring an LLC registered agent service can save time and stress while setting up your company.